words of wisdom


I read a lovely story about Zooey Deschanel and I felt like I had to share it. When Zooey was 17 years old she decided to write Vogue and explain to them that they should celebrate the beauty of all women rather than show what is "ideal". 

This is what she wrote to Vogue, 

"Why would you want to limit the spectrum of beauty to an "ideal" when you, as a popular womens magazine, have the opportunity to expand it? I don't think any woman should have to feel as if she needs to shove herself into an "ideal" to be beautiful. Beauty should be something that is celebrated and something that is enjoyable, not something that people should feel uncomfortable about achieving. Most of the women, and certainly most of the adolescent girls, in the United States do not feel completely secure with themselves, especially with their appearance; is insecurity something you want to advocate? As American women, we don't need discouragement, but inspiration."
 
I cannot get over how wise these words are. As a young woman myself, I deal with many insecurities as I know many of you do as well. If all magazines followed these words, who knows what could be achieved. The magazine industry is improving but it still heavily encourages the "ideal". 
Vogue decided to publish her letter in their magazine but it does not seem like anything has changed. 
We are all beautiful ladies.. work it! 
xo

3 comments

  1. I read this story too! I think she's amazing. I knew there was a reason why I was always a fan of hers.

    -Ly
    http://www.lyzhang.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey!

    thanks so much for checking out my blog! I just saw yours love it! newest follower ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge Zoey fan and I love that you posted this! Everything she said is so true. While most people think I'm confident, I definitely compare myself to others and it doesn't help when magazines throw out an "ideal" that I just can't meet.

    Melissa
    http://miss-melissa.com

    ReplyDelete

© melanie liliana
Maira Gall