There's nothing more comforting than a big bowl of soup on a cold day.
I always aim to find new recipes and I picked this one because I've always wanted to try a beer soup. It was completely out of my comfort zone since I actually despise beer haha. The verdict? Absolutely delicious!
You will need:
- half pound of bacon
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 2+ jalapenos ( I definitely wasn't shy with this since I love spice)
- 2 cloves of garlic (I used 4 since garlic and I are best friends)
- 1 teaspoon thyme chopped
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 12 ounce can of ale ( I used the one above which was a good choice!)
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups of shredded strong cheddar cheese
- cayenne pepper to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon as usual and set aside 2 tablespoons of grease
- Use a deeper pot and heat up grease and cook onion and celery together until tender (about 10 minutes)
- add the garlic and thyme until fragrant about a minute or so
- Add butter let it melt and get bubbly then add the flour slowly and let cook until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes)
- Add the ale, broth and bacon and let cook (10 minutes)
- add the cream, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and cheese until the cheese is melted
- season with cayenne, salt and pepper
- top off with crackers and extra cheese or whatever you like!
Let me know if any of you make this! So yummy and great for leftovers too!
p.s. this is in NO way healthy.. it is completely a comfort food!