things I've learned in my late twenties


bomber, tank, pants: club monaco // shoes: aldo // lipstick: chanel

So last week, I turned 29 on the 29th. 
It's really hard to believe that I'm 29, I swear I still feel like I'm 20 years old. My twenties have gone by so quickly and it's so scary to know that I'll be the big 3-0 next year. The past year was full of ups and downs for me and although it's been quite difficult to say the least, I got through it and I think I've  become a better person from these lessons. 

People always say you learn a lot about yourself in your late twenties and I do believe that to be true. I thought I'd compile a list of things I've learned in my late twenties. Hopefully some of these things are true with you too. Oh and ps. these are in no particular order: 

1.) Beauty sleep is a real thing. - As some of you may know, I have trouble sleeping. I've always been this way. I've grown to live with it and in the past I've been able to get by on little sleep. As I've gotten older, I've realized that I can't get away with this anymore. Setting a sleep schedule is important! I'm still trying to do this...haha 

2.) Drink tons of water. - Sure, we've been told this for years but I think it's especially important in your late twenties. I swear, when I drink a lot of water my skin, my mood, my body everything improves. Plus, you look younger! 

3.) Hangovers are not worth it. - Even in my early twenties, I was always prone to the horrible hangover. Let me tell you something though, in your late twenties it's 10 TIMES WORSE. It's just not worth the horrible day after. As I've become older, you realize your weekends are prime time to get shit done and ain't nobody got time to sit around in pain. 

4.) Friends come and go and maybe come back again. - When you're in your early twenties, the more friends the better. As you get older you start to realize that friends can come and go. In my case, I've had friends come and go and come back again. Call it fate or whatever but as you get older, people change and so do you. Sometimes it just takes time to realize who is important in your life and who isn't. 

5.) Heartaches happen. - Yup, they do. It's up to you to either sulk in pain or realize that it might be a good thing. You can become stronger, wiser and an overall better person from it. 

6.) Save your money. - I'm still trying to figure this out. In all honesty, I went through most of my twenties not really thinking about the future. I kinda just thought it would mesh into place. I've come to realize that saving money is extremely important. You never know what life throws at you and you may need that extra cash to get you through. 

7.) You don't have to have a set plan. - In my early twenties, I always thought I'd have a certain life by 29-30. I've come to realize that life doesn't have a set plan. I still don't know exactly where my life will lead and I've grown to be OK with it. 

8.) STOP comparing yourself to others. - Oh boy, I'm still trying to learn this. In all honesty, it's hard for me to not compare myself to others. We live in a world of social media and showing the "best" parts of our lives to others. Focus on yourself, and what YOU want.

9.) Your parents are actually right...most of the time. - I used to think my parents didn't know about my life and they were just nagging me about certain things. As I've gotten older, I've realized that they are actually full of helpful advice. So pick up the phone, get in the car, hop on a plane and make time for them. 

10.) Take that chance - I honestly think a lot of us are afraid to take that chance in our early twenties. As I've gotten older, I've realized that life is too short to not risk or explore things. I think a lot of us continue to go through life unhappy with certain aspects of life. We stay in things because we've invested time and effort into it. What I've realized is that people change, thoughts change, and something you once thought was good in your early twenties might not be in your late twenties. Whether it be a career choice, where you live, your relationships. Why go through life constantly thinking "what if". If you want something or someone, go for it. Quit that job, go on that trip, go on that long awaited date. Take a chance and you never know, it might be the start of something great


1 comment

  1. Life in your 20s is one weird, wild emotional roller coaster. You're finding your first job, getting your first promotion, meeting new friends, and losing old ones. Everything is constantly changing, but don't get stuck feeling like everything is one mistake away from falling apart; the chaos of early adulthood is totally normal. Start being happy by accepting who you are and stop comparing yourself to others. Make yourself a priority and learn learn to say No. There are plenty others and you've made a great list here with awesome explanations. Thanks, writer for taking the time out to share this knowledge with us, and I just bookmarked this post to share with my friends.

    ReplyDelete

© melanie liliana
Maira Gall