What happened to my foot


dress: aritzia // pants: club monaco // shoe (lol): the bay // sunglasses: valley eyewear 

SOOOOOO you may have noticed I have a rather large accessory now. 
If you follow me on Instagram you may have seen my story about how I hurt my foot. If you didn't, let me tell you.... it's quite funny. 

Two weekends ago I was in Toronto for a friend's wedding. It was so great to go home for a bit and see some friends I hadn't seen since my Queens days. The wedding was a lot of fun and in usual Melanie fashion, I was on the dance floor basically the entire night. Towards the end of the night, a lot of the girls were taking off their heels and I thought it would be a good idea to do so too. 

Little did I know it was a horrible idea. 

While we were all dancing bare foot, a certain song came on (don't remember which one) but everyone was jumping and cheering and all of a sudden, David stomped on my foot (by accident of course). HAHA yes, you read that correctly. At the time, I didn't think it was that painful since I had quite a few gin & tonics in my system. The next morning, I woke up in blinding pain and my foot was pretty swollen. I had plans to take the train home and the only shoes I had were my slip on Doc Martens. I haven't experienced a pain that bad in a long time, it was SO painful putting my swollen foot in that boot. I wasn't able to walk to the station and called an Uber and with my luck, there was a massive marathon in Toronto and no Uber could take me to the station. One finally dropped me off about a half block away and I had to walk and it was horrible.

The next two days, I just assumed it was a bad sprain and elevated and iced it as much as I could. My mom insisted I go to the doctor but I stubbornly didn't want to waste the short time I had at home in the hospital. I then flew to Calgary still in pain. Fast forward to two days at work and I woke up with my foot SUPER swollen and when I say swollen it looked like a completely different foot. I checked myself into the hospital right after work. 

3 hours and an x-ray later and I found out I had a pretty severe fracture. The doctor told me it was called a Jones fracture and it's one of the hardest to heal. She also mentioned that she was surprised at how high my pain tolerance was since I was essentially walking on it for 4 days. I was then told the awful news that I have to wear this super sexy boot for 6 weeks. I'm still in denial that I have to wear it for that long. Depending on how it heals, I might also need surgery. I'm trying to remain positive but damn it's pretty hard to get around and I have to sleep with it too! Oh and yes, David feels really bad about it haha. I'm thinking I should still continue to take photos with it.. might as well embrace it!

There you have it.... that's the story of my injury. 
At least it was a funny story and I was having fun when it happened! Def could have been worse ;) 

Have you ever had to wear one of these bad boys? Any advice on how to cope? 


1 comment

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

© melanie liliana
Maira Gall